Today was the start of the exhibition prep process, which meant that we (the class) had to clear out and clean the Foundation room in order to set up the exhibition space. We started by clearing out our drawers and moving any work that had been left around the room. We then cleared the tables, which were stacked along one wall and then the chairs which were stacked on top of drawers. These will be hidden by the exhibition boards, which were put up after the space was cleared. I then helped by cleaning the sink areas and chairs that will be used during the exhibition.
In the morning we had a group screening of our final edits with Brian and Graham, who would give us feedback. I chose to go first as I had to leave before 10:00 because of my meeting at the WISH centre. Unfortunately I had to leave before my film could be shown, but I asked my peers to write down their feedback and I will collect it, and the feedback from my tutors next week.
The meeting at the WISH centre was with Lauren today as Julie is still away. The group talked about how domestic abuse between parents can affect children in the household, a discussion was held about what the women thought their children needed, what they needed and what they thought an abusive person needed. We then watched the BBC drama Murdered By My Boyfriend (2014) which I have analysed for my secondary research earlier in the project. The film was very hard – hitting, for myself as it brought back the reality of what some people go through and for the women in the group as most of them had had very similar experiences to the character in the film.
Originally after the group I wanted to show those who stayed behind for my interviews my own short film, however I felt that it wasn’t the right time as they had just watched a film about domestic abuse and were emotional. Five women stayed behind and allowed me to interview them anonymously on their experiences with abusive partners. I asked the women how they had felt then, how they felt now, how the WISH centre was helping them / had helped them and what they were moving forward to. It was nice to see that despite the things these women have experienced, they still had a positive outlook on life and were working towards goals and aspirations. I will link the interview recordings to my primary research post through Google Drive.
Continuing with the exhibition prep, we spent the day painting the exhibition boards and cleaning, sanding and painting the corridor outside the Foundation room. I helped by painting some of the boards, painting part of the corridor later on and washing the paint trays and brushes at the end of the day. Next week we will begin to display work and media will put together a showreel of our films to be shown at the main exhibition and our seperate one.